Friday, July 27, 2012

"Giving birth should be your greatest achievement not your greatest fear." ~Jane Weideman

This quote could not have come across my computer at a more opportune time.  Ever since I made the bold decision to prepare myself for natural birth, I have been making some changes to get ready!  Recommended to me by my OB, I bought a book called "Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method" by Marie F. Mongan (foreword by Lorne R. Campbell).  I really like it so far, and the quote in my title is very fitting.  One of the first questions I get asked about being pregnant is "Are you scared/nervous?!"  I automatically widen my eyes and say "Well, hell yeah!"  Now I can honestly say "Nope, not really.  I'm excited!"  It may sound crazy to some, but with some knowledge and confidence, I know I can do what my body was created to do.  Conceiving a child is a miracle.  Creating an embryo and having that slowly evolve into a fetus and into a tiny little baby; is a miracle.  The fact that your body knows it needs to create an entire organ (the placenta) for the purpose of nourishing this little baby: is a miracle.  Your body knowing when it's time for said baby to enter the world by preparing your body: water breaking, contractions, dilation, etc: is a freaking miracle.  So why is giving birth any different? It's the final miracle that will bring a child into the world. It shouldn't be any scarier than watching your belly grow.  It should be fascinating and exciting!

Anyway, as you can tell, I'm pretty passionate about this.  Don't worry, I have not let my hair turn into dreads, exchanged my OB for a hippy midwife(they get a bad wrap) and a bathtub, and I'm not going to cloth diaper! The tree outside my house is too hot to hug, thanks a lot AZ summer heat.  I'm sticking with my awesome OB and feel safe knowing I'll be in a hospital.  I will be signing off to receive an epidural/medication, if deemed medically necessary. I am not ignorant to the reality of giving birth and it not going as planned.  All that I am 100% sure of, is that I will be doing what I can to achieve a goal I have set for myself.  Like Tony Horton says "Do your best. Forget the rest".  Gotta love it.

Time for some belly stats:
How far along: 29 weeks 5 days
Baby is the size of a:
butternut squash (2.5 lbs/15 inches) **this is according to my baby app. Per my ultrasound: she weighs 3lbs 7 oz and is measuring a week ahead.

Total weight gain: 32 lbs, still. i guess my body packed it on and now I'm in hibernation? haha, who knows!
Maternity clothes: yesss. and i think i wanna buy one more skirt from Nordstrom Rack. they are SO comfy.
Stretch marks? belly is free and clear still
Sleep: Pretty good still. I had a dream the tips of my fingers were blue because the "tissue died" haha, whaaaa? my dang arms & hands keep falling asleep. boo
Best moment this week: Hands down, one of the best moments of this pregnancy was the ultrasound that I posted about. I have her "thumbs up" pic on my phone and just love her sweet face!
Miss Anything? I really missed going for a long/hard run to blow off some steam. and the usual: sleeping on belly, having more energy, moving faster than a slug, etc. haha
Movement:
Yes, and i love it! I think she really knows when her daddy is near. she will be still, and when he puts his hand on my belly and talks to her she starts to move.
Food cravings: this is random, but thousand island dressing! salads have paved their way back into my eating regimen. hehe. oh and chocolate + pb candies (but, that's what i normally love) mmm reeses and pb m&m's
Anything making you queasy or sick: ginger, of course
Gender: Girl
Labor Signs: Nope
Symptoms: same ol: back aches, fatigue, the burps, and arms/hands falling asleep.
Wedding rings on or off? off.
Happy or Moody most of the time: Happy! A little moody, but it's what I signed up for..
Looking forward to: Childbirth Education classes with Rob tomorrow, bring it! Baby shower and staycation next month, woo hoo!


Ok, so instead of making a new post or trying to figure out the widgets on this blog (i'm feeling particularly lazy at the moment) I wanted to share one of my favorite juices. Rob and I have consistently juiced everyday since we got back from vaycay. (there i go; easily impressed with myself...hehe). It's a  Mean Green Juice
 Ingredients:
handful spinach
3 stalks of kale
2 golden delicious apples (any apples, really)
small handful parsley
1 lemon*
1 cucumber
*A few quick/personal notes: 1. Start by using half a lemon and do a taste test once you juice it all and stir.  The first time Rob and I did this with a whole lemon, it made our mouths water. It was very tart.  (and if you know me, I love anything sour. Sour patch kids, sour skittles, sour punch straws; you name it. I've been known to eat lemons with salt. just like that.)
2. Peel or slice off lemon rind leaving some of the white pith
3. To juice small leaves such as parsley/cilantro, roll them up into a ball to compact the leaves. I also do this with spinach.
4. I like to add green grapes
What I love about juicing is trying new things.  Lately I have been mixing it up and it tastes delish, but looks pretty gnarly. Oh well. That happens a lot with my cooking/baking. All that matters is how it tastes! I will work on my presentation later.

Speaking of, I better go make our juices for tomorrow before this laziness consumes me.  TGIF and to all the sales peeps out there: best of luck on your end-of-the-month push.  Go team, go!

Besos,

Lex

No comments:

Post a Comment